Engineering Abroad

Education Abroad

The International Programs in Engineering (IPE) office provides support for a variety of education abroad opportunities for CoE students. International experiences for CoE students can take many forms from traditional study abroad for academic credit to work/internship abroad, research, volunteer and co-curricular international projects in conjunction with CoE student organizations.

College of Engineering Study Abroad

IPE sponsors semester and summer study abroad programs for academic credit. CoE students may choose from programs taught in English or foreign languages, depending on their skill levels and prior experience. IPE staff members advise students about program options and provide assistance with applications and course approvals. Undergraduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply for College of Engineering study abroad programs. Graduate students may apply for select programs with the approval of IPE and their respective CoE academic advisor. Additional requirements may apply; please see the IPE website for program specific admission guidelines.

Most forms of student financial aid can be applied to College of Engineering study abroad programs.

International Programs in Engineering
245 Chrysler Center
Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-2092
Phone: (734) 647-7192
Email: [email protected]

Campus-Wide Study Abroad Programs

CoE students may also participate in study abroad programs sponsored by other U-M schools and colleges. The Center for Global & Intercultural Study (CGIS) offers a broad range of study abroad programs that are open to CoE students. Students considering a CGIS study abroad program must consult the International Programs in Engineering office to determine applicability of credit to Engineering degree requirements. For CoE students, grades for STDABRD credit programs will generally not be calculated into the cumulative GPA. Campus-wide study abroad programs can be found in M-Compass.

Beyond U-M Study Abroad Programs

Students studying abroad on a program that is not sponsored by a U-M office may earn transfer credit if the program sponsor is a fully accredited institution of higher learning, an official transcript is furnished by that institution, and the course is evaluated for transfer credit. Students considering Beyond U-M study abroad must register their plans in the U-M travel registry prior to departure and consult with the IPE Office about course approvals and transfer credit. U-M Travel Registry.

Global Health Design Initiative (GHDI)

The Global Health Design Initiative provides curricular and co-curricular opportunities for undergraduate students to collaborate with stakeholders to define problems and develop and implement solutions to address essential health care challenges.  

Global Health Design Initiative (GHDI) Website

Talk to a human: [email protected] | (734) 764-9366

Semesters Offered/Recommended: Year Round

Financial: Assistance available, Some paid opportunities