Depending on which degree you seek, choose one of the following applications:
M.S., M.S.E., Ph.D. (Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies)
Rackham works with CoE graduate departments and programs to administer the admissions process for M.S., M.S.E., and Ph.D. programs. Departments recommend admission to Rackham. Rackham monitors requirements and procedures and certifies the admission recommendation as appropriate. Rackham highly encourages applications via the web. However, if there are extenuating circumstances, it is possible to submit a paper application. Please be advised questions regarding paper admissions applications be directed to the graduate program.
Web Application (For Ann Arbor campus only)
Applicants are then required to send supplemental materials to either the Rackham Graduate School and/or their College of Engineering department of interest. If you are confused about where to send your application materials, please direct questions to the appropriate official departmental admission contact.
M.Eng., D.Eng. (College of Engineering)
The following form is for students interested in the Master of Engineering degree with majors in the following fields of study: Applied Climate; Automotive Engineering; Construction Engineering & Management; Energy Systems Engineering; Global Automotive and Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing, Systems Engineering + Design; Space Engineering; Structural Engineering; and the Doctor of Engineering in Manufacturing degree.
For more information, please visit our web application
Some departments or programs review applications on a rolling basis as applications are received; others review applications on a scheduled basis. Before contacting the department or program please allow at least six weeks for processing after your application submission.
Contact individual departments or programs for specific admissions criteria at www.engin.umich.edu/gradcontacts. Admission is usually determined by an evaluation of the following:
- Transcript of your Academic Record.
- Academic Statement of Purpose for you graduate study objectives.
- Personal Statement.
- Recommendations from three faculty members who have supervised your coursework or research.
- Completion of the GRE test. Note: While the GRE general test is required of all applicants, including the University of Michigan graduates who apply to CoE Ph.D. programs, our focus is on the student’s academic and research potential. Since GRE scores have been shown to have little or no correlation with student excellence in research at the University of Michigan, we will no longer require a minimum score for the combined Verbal and Quantitative tests or for the Analytical Writing test as an admissions criteria.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS), or the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), for applicants who studied at an institution where the language of instruction is not English or for whom English is not their native language.
- Although departments may adjust their GPA requirements to reflect their own applicant needs, the average GPA of the Fall 2017 entering class of Ph.D. students is 3.7. The average GPA for Master’s students is 3.6.