Accepted Credit

Advanced Placement

Many students take Advanced Placement courses through the Advanced Placement Program in their high schools. Credit for these courses can be applied toward a degree, provided the student has performed satisfactorily on the Advanced Placement Program examination conducted nationally by the College Entrance Examination Board. Students are not eligible if they are already enrolled in college level courses. This does not apply to dual enrollment credit taken while in high school.

By Website
AP Student College Board website
(U-M code is 1839)

See information of how credit will be awarded: Undergraduate Admissions

All other questions about Advanced Placement should be referred to the Engineering Advising Center, 230 Chrysler Center, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092. (Phone: 734-647-7106, Email: [email protected])

International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations

To receive credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations, an official transcript of examination grades must be officially sent by the IB Office directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Contact the International Baccalaureate Organization to submit scores to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor electronically. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions only awards credit for IB Higher Level examinations. Please note: guidelines are subject to change.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The faculty at U-M will not accept any of the CLEP general exams. However, CoE students can earn credit by taking the following CLEP subject exams:

  • General Chemistry: a minimum score of 47 would allow 3 hours of Chemistry 100-level departmental credit (CHEM 101x)
  • General/Introductory Psychology: a minimum score of 47 would allow 4 hours of Introductory Psychology credit (PSYCH 111)
  • Human Growth and Development: a minimum score of 45 would allow 3 hours of Psychology departmental credit (PSYCH 101x)
  • Introductory Sociology: a minimum score of 47 would allow 4 hours of Introductory Sociology credit (SOC 100)

Note that only the objective test needs to be taken. The test score must come from an official CLEP score report from the testing agency. U-M is NOT a testing center for any CLEP exams. Similar to AP exams, the four CLEP exams outlined above must be taken by the student before entering college in order to qualify. For any question, the Transfer Credit Evaluation Office should be consulted at [email protected].

Foreign Languages

Credit by test (e.g. Advanced Placement, A-Level and International Baccalaureate) can be used to satisfy Intellectual Breadth requirements. Foreign language credit by test at the 200- level or higher counts toward the Liberal Arts Course (LAC) requirement. Foreign language credit by test at the 100-level can be used for General Electives only. In addition, language credit by test is limited to 8 credits.

The CoE no longer grants credit for students passing a language placement test offered by the College of LSA. Students seeking to continue in the study of a foreign language will however be eligible to earn retroactive language credits in certain languages if they completed an upper-level language course with a grade of B or better. Please see LSA’s Retroactive Language Credit Policy for general rules regarding this policy.

Contact your academic advisor with questions about taking language placement exams.

“Study of a language in a course” means a student took coursework designed to teach them the fundamental vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and writing system of that language as a foreign language, as opposed to a class in literature, argumentative or essay writing, or creative writing in a language whose fundamentals they already know.

The CoE values the study of language, so even when credit might not be granted, students are encouraged to take any language placement test for which they may be qualified, so that they can be properly placed in a more advanced language course or demonstrate proficiency for language-related opportunities (i.e. toward a minor with a language requirement).

Transfer Credit for Entering First-Year Students

Incoming first-year students who took a course(s) at a college or university while dually enrolled in high school may potentially receive transfer credit. Students seeking approval to transfer credit are required to submit an official transcript from the accredited college/university. An official transcript should be mailed directly to the Office of Admissions, 1220 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316, from the college/university.