Additional Opportunities

Cooperative Education

The Cooperative (co-op) Education Program assists students in pursuing an optional program of work while studying in the College of Engineering. Students can find co-op positions independently or by using ECRC resources. A co-op search is the same as any other job search—students apply to organizations and then may be invited to interview.

Students in the co-op program are registered students at the University and will be enrolled in Engineering 400: Cooperative Education Engineering. The student’s co-op work semester(s) are entered on the transcript and become part of the student’s academic record. Co-op students do not receive credit – co-op is zero credit hours and you are not charged for credit hours, but will be charged a fee for enrollment. However, you are considered a full-time student, loans are deferred, email accounts remain open, etc.

Search for co-op opportunities by using the resources below:
Engineering Career Resource Center

Typical Co-op Assignments

A typical co-op assignment is eight months (May through December or January through August) of hands-on engineering experience that will allow you to use the skills you have learned in the classroom and apply those skills to actual engineering projects; you are part of an engineering team! It may only delay your graduation one or two semesters, and you will find the experience to be a wonderful asset when you start looking for full-time employment.


Students may enroll as early as the second semester of their first year. In order to enroll, students must have a GPA of 2.75 or higher. The co-op job duties must relate to the student’s major and students must work 30 to 40 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks. It is not available to students requiring CPT (please contact the ECRC for more details).

Work Assignment

While working a co-op assignment, students are subject to the rules and regulations of the employer. Work assignments must be at least 30 hours per week for a minimum of six weeks. The employer will evaluate the student’s performance at the end of the co-op work term and forward the evaluation to the Engineering Career Resource Center. Co-op students are also required to complete and return an evaluation report of their learning experience to the ECRC.

Getting Started

Students interested in the co-op programs should visit the Engineering Career Resource Center website or contact the Engineering Career Resource Center co-op coordinator at [email protected]. Co-op students are registered in ENGR 400 while on a co-op work assignment; registration is by permission only and must be completed through the ECRC.

Engineering Career Resource Center
230 Chrysler Center
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2192
Phone: (734) 647-7160

Education Abroad

The International Programs in Engineering (IPE) office provides support for a variety of education abroad opportunities for CoE students. International experiences for CoE students can take many forms from traditional study abroad for academic credit to work/internship abroad, research, volunteer and co-curricular international projects in conjunction with CoE student organizations.

College of Engineering Study Abroad

IPE sponsors semester and summer study abroad programs for academic credit. CoE students may choose from programs taught in English or foreign languages, depending on their skill levels and prior experience. IPE staff members advise students about program options and provide assistance with applications and course approvals. Undergraduate students in good academic standing are eligible to apply for College of Engineering study abroad programs. Graduate students may apply for select programs with the approval of IPE and their respective CoE Academic Advisor. Additional requirements may apply; please see the IPE website for program specific admission guidelines.

Most forms of student financial aid can be applied to College of Engineering study abroad programs.

International Programs in Engineering
245 Chrysler Center
Ann Arbor, MI, 48109-2092
Phone: (734) 647-7192
Email: [email protected]

Campus-Wide Study Abroad Programs

CoE students may also participate in study abroad programs sponsored by other U-M schools and colleges. The Center for Global & Intercultural Study (CGIS) offers a broad range of study abroad programs that are open to CoE students. Students considering a CGIS study abroad program must consult the International Programs in Engineering office to determine applicability of credit to Engineering degree requirements. For CoE students, grades for STDABRD credit programs will generally not be calculated into the cumulative GPA. Campus-wide study abroad programs can be found in M-Compass.

Beyond U-M Study Abroad Programs

Students studying abroad on a program that is not sponsored by a U-M office may earn transfer credit if the program sponsor is a fully accredited institution of higher learning, an official transcript is furnished by that institution, and the course is evaluated for transfer credit. Students considering Beyond U-M study abroad must register their plans in the U-M travel registry prior to departure and consult with the IPE Office about course approvals and transfer credit. U-M Travel Registry.

Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP)

The UROP program enables students to work one-on-one or as part of a small group of students on research projects conducted by faculty and research scientists all across campus. Students will choose research projects by looking through a catalog of over 700 research projects and will then interview for the positions with the faculty researcher.

All students participating in the program are also required to attend a biweekly research seminar and a monthly meeting with a peer advisor, read research-related articles (e.g., research ethics, research in specific disciplines, research methods) and complete short journal assignments.

Students may participate in UROP for academic credit, or they may utilize their work study financial aid, if they are eligible to earn work study funding. ENGR students working on engineering projects will enroll in ENGR 280 and determine their workload with their research mentor by choosing from the following options

    2 credits = 6 hours of research/week

    3 credits = 9 hours of research/week

    4 credits = 12 hours of research/week

    *** Students earning work study funding will earn 1 academic credit and be compensated monetarily for their research hours ***

Most projects in the engineering and health science disciplines are time-intensive, and many students work 10-12 hours per week.

For more information and to access the online application, please visit the UROP website.

Summer Undergraduate Research in Engineering – SURE (for U-M undergraduate students)

SURE offers summer research internships to outstanding undergraduate students who have completed their sophomore or junior year (preference will be given to those who have completed three years of study) by the time of their internship.  Participants have the opportunity to conduct 10-12 weeks of full-time summer research with some of the country’s leading faculty in a wide range of engineering disciplines. The program provides opportunities for students to assess their interests and potential in pursuing research at the Masters or Ph.D. level in graduate school.  All participants must apply online through the SURE website.  Accepted applicants from the University of Michigan receive guidance by a faculty advisor in a College of Engineering research facility, a stipend of $5,000 and attend regular meetings.

For more information, please visit the SURE website.