With its educational emphasis on science and engineering problem-solving skills, ethics, communication, teamwork, and life-long learning strategies for solving broad multidisciplinary problems, the program provides internationally recognized leadership in education, research, and service in the field of Materials Science and Engineering.
- To provide excellent, diverse students with the knowledge and engineering skills in a quality learning environment that will enable them to become flexible, effective, life-long learners and leaders in materials-related industries, government agencies, and academia.
- To have a leading undergraduate program in materials science and engineering, one that integrates a strong scientific base with engineering experience.
Within 2-5 years after graduating our students will be able to:
- Use their understanding of the structure, properties, performance, and processing of materials to solve complex engineering problems
- Adapt to the rapidly changing scientific and technological landscape, recognize the implications of their work, and drive the development of future technologies.
- Communicate effectively with their colleagues and the general public.
- Contribute substantively, as leaders, to science, technology, the environment, and society.
All Materials Science and Engineering graduates should have:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
The University Registrar publishes the number of students enrolled annually in this program, and the number of degrees granted each term by this program.