To provide a solid and current foundation to students in the data science area.
To produce students with intellectual understanding of both statistical and computing principles for exploring methods and algorithms related to data science so as to enable knowledge creation and decision-making in various application domains.
- To provide the necessary foundation in the principles and methods of data science while preparing students for a broad range of responsible technical positions in industry and/or advanced graduate education.
- To provide the technical skills necessary to ingest, curate, manage, query, analyze, and transform data.
- To provide an opportunity to communicate in written and oral form, to develop an appreciation of ethics, security, and privacy in the digital world, and to prepare graduates for successful careers and leadership positions.
The outcome we desire is that our graduates demonstrate:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering to problem solving.
- Knowledge of probability and statistics, including applications appropriate to data science.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to select ways of storing and analyzing data to meet desired needs, both in memory and on persistent storage.
- An ability to design and implement automated or semi-automated methods to help curate, query, and transform data.
- An ability to apply machine learning and statistical techniques to help analyze large datasets and to create prediction models or decision models.
- An ability to analyze data in the context of an application domain.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of data science solutions in a global and societal context
Enrollment and Graduation Data
The University Registrar publishes the number of student enrolled annually in this program, and the number of degrees granted each term by this program.