First-Year Undergraduate

Advanced Placement

Many students take Advanced Placement courses through the Advanced Placement Program in their high schools. Credit for these courses can be applied toward a degree, provided the student has performed satisfactorily on the Advanced Placement Program examination conducted nationally by the College Entrance Examination Board. Students are not eligible if they are already enrolled in college level courses.  This does not apply to dual enrollment credit taken while in high school.

Any questions regarding the examination, scores or results should be directed to the Advanced Placement Program.

Website: (U-M code is 1839)

See information of how credit will be awarded at this website:

By Mail:
Advanced Placement Program
PO Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671

By Telephone:
(609) 771-7300 or (888) CALL-4AP

By Fax:
(609) 530-0482

(609) 882-4118 (for the hearing impaired)

By Email:

All other questions about Advanced Placement should be referred to Engineering Advising Center, 230 Chrysler Center, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092. (Phone: 734-647-7106)

The following website lists the satisfactory scores required to receive credit in the College of Engineering:

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The faculty at U-M will not accept any of the CLEP general exams. However, CoE students can earn credit by taking the following CLEP subject exams:

  • General Chemistry: a minimum score of 47 would allow 3 hours of Chemistry 100-level departmental credit (CHEM 101x)
  • General/Introductory Psychology: a minimum score of 47 would allow 4 hours of Introductory Psychology credit (PSYCH 111)
  • Human Growth and Development: a minimum score of 45 would allow 3 hours of Psychology departmental credit (PSYCH 101x)
  • Introductory Sociology: a minimum score of 47 would allow 4 hours of Introductory Sociology credit (SOC 100)

Note that only the objective test needs to be taken. The test score must come from an official CLEP score report from the testing agency. U-M is NOT a testing center for any CLEP exams. Similar to AP exams, the four CLEP exams outlined above must be taken by the student before entering college in order to qualify. For any question, the Transfer Credit Evaluation Office should be consulted at

University Placement Examinations

There are a number of courses for which credit may be received by getting a satisfactory score on a Placement Examination offered by a department of the University. Language credit earned by U-M examination will be posted under the admitted term even though student may choose to take at a later term.

Note: No credit is granted for math and chemistry placement exams given before or during orientation.  The purpose of these exams is to determine your preparation for these entry level courses.

Foreign Languages

Credit by test (e.g. Advanced Placement, A-Level and International Baccalaureate) can be used to satisfy Intellectual Breadth requirements except for the 3 credit humanities requirement. Foreign language credit by test at the 200- level or higher can count toward the LAC requirement but not the 3 credit humanities requirement. Foreign language credit by test at the 100-level can be used for General Electives only. In addition, language credit by test is limited to 8-credits.

CoE will grant credit for students passing a language placement test offered by the College of LSA provided the student has previously studied that language in a course in their secondary education. This will be verified using their high school or college transcripts.

“Study of a language in a course” means a student took coursework designed to teach them the fundamental vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and writing system of that language as a foreign language, as opposed to a class in literature, argumentative or essay writing, or creative writing in a language whose fundamentals they already knew.

The CoE values the study of language, so even when credit might not be granted students are encouraged to take any language placement test for which they may be qualified, so that they can be properly placed in a more advanced language course.

Transfer Credit for Entering First-Year Students

Incoming first-year students who took a course(s) at a college or university while dually enrolled in high school may potentially receive transfer credit. The guidelines for transferring credit in these situations include that the course(s) must be:

  1. Taken on the physical campus of an accredited college/university
  2. Taught by college/university instructors
  3. Taken with other college/university students

Students seeking approval to transfer credit are required to submit an official transcript from the college/university. An official transcript should be mailed directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 515 East Jefferson Street, 1220 Student Activities Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316 from the college/university.

More info at our website: